- 46% of Republicans say President Biden’s election was definitely not legitimate
- 25% of Republicans say President Biden’s election was probably not legitimate
- 15% of Republicans say President Biden’s election is probably legitimate
- 6% of Republicans say President Biden’s election was legitimate
- 24% of Republicans approved the events of January 6th
- 80% of Republicans see the January 6th event as a protest, not as an insurgence
- 41% of Republicans were left-leaning groups
- 75% of Trump voters believe the election was rigged and stolen
- 12% of Trump voters believe Republicans should cooperate with the Congressional investigation about the events of January 6th
- 10% of Trump voters say the next election will be free and fair
- 23% of Trump voters justify the January 6th events
- 26% of Trump voters say the former president himself is the best/most truthful source of information about January 6th
First of all, the extraordinary reality that there’s this research that shows that something like at least 8%, and maybe as many as 12%, of the American people, now say that Joe Biden was illegitimate and that violence is an appropriate tool to removing him and restoring Donald Trump. That’s somewhere between 20 million and 30 million people. That’s a mass movement in America in favor of political violence, which is a new thing. (John Heilman on Meet the Press, 12 December 2021)
The data above and the quote frighten me. What have we become? Why? For the record, and in accordance with Ohio law, I’m a registered Independent, therefore I do not vote in primary elections for either party. I also have a history of being a registered Republican.
I look at Republican leadership – those officials elected to national, state, and local offices. Not all of them, but I am confident in saying most.
Republicans are the ones sowing the seeds of discontent. Republicans are the ones promoting the big lie.
Republicans are the ones using echo chambers of their biased media outlets to spread falsehoods.
Republicans are the ones promoting widespread voter fraud, which does not exist.
Republicans are the ones suppressing voters under the disguise of election security. They started this after the nation elected Barack Obama, and continued after Joe Biden’s election.
Republicans are the ones who intentionally blocked a Supreme Court nomination because they wanted the count favoring their view of America. They are the ones who don’t believe the judicial system is for all Americans.
Republicans are the ones promoting themselves as the defenders of the US Constitution. Yet, not only are they the ones who want to amend it, they would like to rewrite the Constitution in their view by calling for a Constitutional Convention.
Republicans, your silence is deafening. Your deflection is ill-guided. Your loyalty is misplaced. Your judgment is selfish. Your denial is absolute. You are the suppressors. You are the greatest threat to democracy. You are the tyrants. You are the promoters of tyranny.